Saturday, January 16, 2016

Iran-Iranian blogger and activist Hossein Ronaghi-Maleki has been summoned back to Evin Prison

Iranian blogger and activist Hossein Ronaghi-Maleki has been summoned back to Evin Prison to resume serving his 15-year sentence, despite his critical health condition.

In a message posted on Twitter on January 11, Ronaghi-Maleki wrote: “In seven days I must return to prison, but not with my own feet…”

On June 17, 2015, the young Iranian was temporarily released on a bail of 1.4 billion Tomans (about US$500,000) due to health complications.

“They insist I return to prison although my health is very bad,” the blogger and activist wrote on his Instagram page. “Sending me back to prison is incomprehensible and illegal.”

He also said that doctors have recommended he not return to jail, as it would worsen his condition.

Ronaghi-Maleki and his brother Hassan were arrested in the aftermath of the disputed presidential election of 2009. Both were taken to Evin Prison and put under intense physical and mental pressure in an effort to make them sign confessions. His brother, who was not politically active, was arrested in order to put added pressure on Hossein to confess. Hossein was sentenced to 15 years’imprisonment.

Hossein Ronaghi Maleki has only one functioning kidney and needs constant specialized medical care, which he cannot get in prison. He has told Amnesty International that he and his family are not doing well because of psychological pressure from the authorities, as well as anxiety about his serious health problems.


following he wrote:
I am going through stressful and difficult days. To my friends and acquaintances that ask how I’m doing, I have to say the following: I am going through stressful and difficult days due to unyielding physical and psychological duress.

With my left kidney non-functioning, physicians have stressed that it is imperative for my right kidney to be protected from any further damage by supplying the necessary treatments and medical follow-ups. I have to endure constant kidney pain, burning and frequent urination due to my kidney disease.

My digestive issues (chronic duodenal ulcers and esophageal reflux) continue. According to the results of my latest endoscopy and testing done in the past weeks, with the medication and strict adherence to a special diet, my stomach pylori infection is better and now under control. But my stomach ulcers and digestive issues remain and must be contained with special nourishment and medication that is not available behind bars.
An important aspect of my physical health is that recently doctors diagnosed me with blood and pulmonary problems. Various tests indicate that I must complete a diagnostic process due to both my lungs being injured, causing preliminary asthma. Recently blood was taken out per doctors’ orders so that I don’t encounter further issues caused by high blood concentrations (hypoglycemia).
Other issues that have intensified my health problems are heart mistral valve prolapse; cardiac arrhythmia's associated with rising and dropping of my blood pressure that can be dangerous and amplified with stress; prostate problems; osteoarthritis of the knee and neck, swelling of the spleen caused by high blood concentrations among other issues causing my body to deteriorate.

But why is it that despite all of this – the official forensic report and specialized physicians stating prison conditions are dangerous for me due to my condition – must the Tehran Prosecutor’s office insist on sending me back to prison, sometimes with a tone threatening to put a warrant out and seize my bail.

I object to the fact that Section 52 of the Code of Criminal Procedures is not applied to me; I object to the fact that last year’s Eid-e Fetr amnesty given by the Supreme Leader for ailing prisoners is not applied to me; I object to the fact that in general, no law supports me and no law protects me. Why should a young person be sentenced to 15 years in prison? What unforgiving crime has been
committed and what huge harm has been done to the country?

According to doctors, the prison conditions (food, medicine, medical clinic, stressful environment) are harmful for me and can cause further illnesses and complications, with asthma and blood problems not being the last of them.

Indeed, even if the sufferer is a prisoner, who is responsible for the plunging health and life of a human being?

During the time that I have been out of prison, the pressure I have endured has magnified and worsened the situation for me and my family. The conditions are even more intense than when I was in prison, and this, is a form of imposing a double-penalty


No comments:

Post a Comment